Have a clogged sink, bathtub or shower drain? Our tips will help you get it unclogged fast!
There are a number of easy ways to try unclog any household drain, all using easy to get
or items you already may have in your home.
Drain snake, claw or wire hanger
- Don’t have a drain snake or claw? Easily make one by straightening a wire hanger.
- Insert the snake, claw or wire hanger into the drain opening until there’s some resistance that indicates you’ve reached any blockage.
- Rotate against the clog until it feeds deeper into the pipe.
- When it moves freely, pull it out and hopefully the clog debris is attached for you to discard.
- After removing all the clog items, run hot water at full force for a minute or so.
Baking soda and vinegar
- Boil a pot of water and pour it down the clogged drain.
- Put a ½ cup of baking soda on top of the boiling water you poured into the drain.
- Leave that to sit in the drain for a couple of minutes.
- Mix one cup of white vinegar and one cup of super-hot water.
- Pour this mixture into the drain.
- Make sure to cover the drain to keep the explosive reaction inside.
- Let everything you’ve poured into the drain sit for about 10-15 minutes.
- Finish by flushing the drain with another pot of boiling water again.
Over the counter chemicals
- Buy one that’s safe for all drains or for whatever specific pipes you have in your home, like, PVC or copper and get help from store employees if you’re unsure.
- Read the directions carefully and follow them, along with safety directions, exactly.
- This works for a bathtub drain clog.
- Fill the tub with enough water to submerge the rubber end of the plunger with water, Place the bowl of the plunger over the bathtub drain and move the plunger up and down vigorously around 10 times.
- Add more force to your plunges if nothing is being sucked out of the tub drain.
- Continue plunging until the water drains freely if you take away the plunger.
- If nothing still comes out, move on to other methods.
If none of these work, then call a plumber to help unclog your drain.